Tuesday, January 27, 2015

First salary and defense

The feeling of a full paycheck. I never knew the feeling as a student (mine was always empty), but last week I received my first salary! The glorious numbers! Hallelujah! And what did I do with my first salary you might ask? Well, of course I took my parents out to dinner. Gotta share the love. Second, I went a little crazy. I bought some additional pieces to my dinner service, encouraged by my dad. Seriously, he was more exited and enthusiastic than I was. So cute, he really loves porcelain and tableware. And last but not least: a watch. Yes, I know, another watch. Or at least that's what my mum said. But it is sooo pretty and the price was more than 70% reduced. I know, a bargain, right?! But don't worry, I will still be able to make rent and I event put something away to save. See, I can be responsible too!
Monday was pretty exciting too, as it was the first time I was present at a student defending it's thesis. Both guys did a really great job, but it made me realise how much easier it is to be Dutch, as theirs had to be in English as they were from India and China. Even though they knew their research really well, sometimes the communication between the opponent (with a thick Dutch accent) and the defendant (thick Asian accent) was a bit difficult. But they both got through it really well. Afterwards there was a small reception, followed by an amazing party at a very chic Chinese restaurant. With lots and lots of food! As a farewell, colleagues and co-workers made a power point presentation on their life during the four years they worked at the lab. It was absolutely hilarious! And of course there was the ceremonial exchanging of exotic gifts from their home countries. It was very touching. Even though four years seems like a long time, in research it's over in the blink of an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment